hi,
i had the same trouble once. turned out to be a 25-9 connecter which
didnt have all the pins. some old ones were missing some pins. swapped
it with a new fully pinned one and away she went. so check your cabling,
use connectors that have all the pins in place. even check the pinouts
with a meter etc.

Jeff Waugh wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> In the middle of a procrastination-induced bedroom rearrangement, I
> decided to try getting my reliable old 486 to dial up properly.
> Sadly, it's a very confused little creature.
>
> It's running RedHat 6.0, and kernel 2.2.14
>
> When issuing "ifup ppp0", the modem lights flash and finally rest
> with the three usual lights on (HS, MR and PW), plus the DTR light.
> It stays like this for a while, until the connection attempt times
> out. It doesn't even get to the dialtone.
>
> The same modem works fine on my chunky machine, so I thought
> duplicating the setup might work. I copied (and set correct
> permissions on) /etc/ppp/* and /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/*ppp*
> but still to no avail. Same results - the DTR light goes on and
> times out.
>
> I forgot to grab a tail of the log file before I swapped the modem
> back to this machine, but it really didn't say too much beyond
> "Well, that mustn't have worked".
>
> There's essentially no difference between the setups (serial ports,
> etc). The kernel config is based on the same file, too. I'm using a
> simple ATZ for the init string.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Jeff

>    e: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>    w: rsn
>    i: 16341281 (jdub!)
>    q: "A rest with a fermata is the moral opposite of the fast
>        food restaurant with express lane."
>                                           - James Gleick, Faster
>
> --

                                                                  _|_

Thanks,                                           iCafe PTY Limited
Ben Donohue                                    Web Hosting & Design
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                Small Business Office Networks
Ph. 0011 61 2 9705 7520                     http://www.icafe.com.au
Mobile: 0417 018 600                                ACN 080 665 907

Freedom isn't doing what you want...  Freedom is knowing what to do