Right. So you're saying that desktop installers set swap to be 2x RAM
by default, just in case the user decides to download suspend2, which
didn't exist at the time the installer was written and isn't included
in the distro, and *then* chooses to suspend to swap?

I don't follow your argument. Why would an installer have default
settings based on optional behaviour of a program that isn't even
included in the distro and requires recompiling the kernel to use?