To convert a Ubuntu server to desktop, I am pretty sure the all you need
is to "apt-get install ubuntu-desktop" which will add the virtual
package (and all its dependencies.

It sounds like your video chipset is causing you grief with the liveCD.
In cases like this, I always use the "alternate" CD which is basically a
desktop install cd using text-mode.

Martin Visser

Technology Consultant
Consulting & Integration
Technology Solutions Group - HP Services

410 Concord Road
Rhodes NSW  2138
Australia

Mobile: +61-411-254-513
Fax: +61-2-9022-1800
E-mail: martin.visserAThp.com

This email (including any attachments) is intended only for the use of
the individual or entity named above and may contain information that is
confidential, proprietary or privileged. If you are not the intended
recipient, please notify HP immediately by return email and then delete
the email, destroy any printed copy and do not disclose or use the
information in it.