Leslie> Peter Chubb wrote:
>> Hmmm.  The device driver is trying to get 256k of memory in a
>> single chunk. If your machine has been up for any lenght of time,
>> that's going to be very difficult.
>>
>> Try rebooting, and then modprobing ndiswrapper immediately after
>> boot --- you're more likely to have free memory then.

Leslie> Thanks very much for your reply, Peter.

Leslie> Here's absolutely everything I did as a result:

Leslie> - powered off - booted up - opened a terminal - used
Leslie> ndiswrapper with the -i option and the Windows .INF file;
Leslie> while the command was executing, I got repeated twice "Forcing
Leslie> parameter AdhocGModel1 to AdhocGModel0" - used ndiswrapper
Leslie> with the -l option; I got the following:

You only need to do this once.  After that, the driver bits are
installed by the ndiswrapper command into a standard place.

Leslie> Installed drivers: wg511v2 driver installed, hardware present

Leslie> - used depmod with the -a option - used modprobe ndiswrapper;
Leslie> I got the prompt back with no intervening screen output - used
Leslie> dmesg | grep -i ndiswrapper; I got the following:

Leslie> <6> ndiswrapper version 1.14 loaded (preempt=no,smp=yes) <6>

This is an ancient version of ndiswrapper.    The current version is
1.40, and has fixes for PCMCIA cards --- I don't think that ersion 1.14
had that.  Upgrade and you may have a chance.

Peter C--
Dr Peter Chubb  http://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au  peterc AT gelato.unsw.edu.au
http://www.ertos.nicta.com.au           ERTOS within National ICT Australia