You should already have the java browser plugin if you installed the
JRE, it's just a matter of pointing firefox to it, like with a
symlink. Something like:

ln -s $JRE_HOME/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so

If the $JRE_HOME variable doesn't exist (it should), just replace it
in the command with the path to your JRE (maybe /usr/lib/jvm/jre ? not
sure where fedora puts it).

Once it works in firefox, opera should also be scanning the mozilla
plugin directories for its plugins, so opera should pick it up as
well.

David