On 10/30/07, Sonia Hamilton wrote:
> I'm using mplayer to record a Windoze media stream, then converting the
> file to mp3:
>
> % mplayer -cache 512 -vc null -vo null -ao pcm:file=${outfile}
> http://1.2.3.4:8080
> % toolame -m s "$i" "$newname"
>
> The machine I'm working on is short of space - anyone know of a way
> (using mplayer or another tool) to record a Windoze media stream
> directly to mp3/ogg, rather than creating a large intermediate raw file
> and then converting to mp3/ogg?

Easy, mencoder, which comes in the mplayer package. It has exactly the
same syntax as mplayer, just that you won't need the -vc, -vo, and -ao
options in mencoder; instead just specify "-o thefile.mp3" and "-oac
toolame" (I personally use mp3lame, but seeing that you used toolame
yourself :P) The -novideo option is probably useful as well. Just
check out the mplayer/mencoder man page, it has everything.

David