On Thu, October 23, 2008 11:01 pm, Tony Sceats wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 10:19 PM, David P <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> I would avoid creating another user in this situation; it looks like
>> he already has a "amavis" user for that purpose, but it incorrectly has
>> UID 105 and GID 106, whereas the ownership of the listed files is
>> UID 104 / GID 105. It's simpler, IMO, to edit the UID and GID of
>> "amavis" in /etc/passwd and /etc/group to 104 and 105 than mess around
>> with two users. Clam should be fine with the UID change, since the
>> username, rather than the UID, is specified in clamd.conf, so it should
>> automatically follow to the new UID.

> good point, but why not just recursively chown the directory structure
> with the wrong UIDs so it's got the right ones? why is the passwd file the
> problem and not the files? --

as it is, before I got David's post, I've already followed the 1st
suggestion, and created (re-created?) the user,

it still didn't work as I wanted, if at all, eventually, after going back
and forth and altering clamd.conf specified users bewtwen amavis and clam,
and, chowning/chmoding, as well as on odd curse/prayer, it still didn't
work...

however, after reading this suggestion, when I went to look, I discovered
it does seem to work now

I'm still at loss why did it loose a user, and, which one of several
changes was the one that was needed, but, I think I'll leave it alone
whilst it's working...

from my logs, it seems, in the past, I was running as clam, now, as amavis

# grep "Runnin"  *

clamd.log.1:Fri Oct 24 23:48:20 2008 -> Running as user amavis (UID 105,
GID 106)
clamd.log.2:Thu Oct 23 20:10:41 2008 -> Running as user clamav (UID 104,
GID 104)

--
Voytek