It seems that "an upstream supplier" has made changes that specifically require an MTU of 1492. Problem solved.

Only some sites were affected, which made it confusing. I can't imagine why anyone would do this and not tell anybody. My reseller couldn't tell me who the "upstream supplier" is, except that it isn't TPG.

Go figure.