At 01:57 AM 3/26/2004, you wrote:
I once noticed that transferring data through TCP/IP is NOT error-free, if
the connection is very slow. At least not if it is going through Microsoft's
software (Windows).

Me 2.

> One possibility that has been suggested is that we could gzip these files.
> That would be a somewhat radical change - but so would any change to the
> file format so this may be the best option.

Why don't you just put gzip files in addition to the uncompressed files into
the download directory. Those who want to download the zipped files then
would have to make a only small change in their download script.

I think we will probably try this. _M