At 12:57 PM 5/19/2004, you wrote:
Pete,

I noted late last night that my rulebase grew by 700 KB over the size of the previous one that was archived on my machine, and also the hits for some of the tests were noticeably lower and I had a definite increase in the number of messages that scored in my Hold range (instead of scoring higher and landing in Drop). This morning though the size of my rulebase again dropped by about 450 KB.

I was just wondering if this might have been a hiccup with a bad compilation or maybe you were testing something out?

We didn't have anything under test that would alter the rulebases. I'm going to dig through the logs and see if there's anything I can identify.

If the rulebase was corrupted in any way you would have been able to detect that with the latest snf2check utility.

It's not unusual for ruelbase sizes to change by as much as 20%. The system is constantly activating and deactivating rules based on new log files that are reported. Currently a significant change might occur once per day - though we are working on new analysis engines that will permit more frequent rule strength adjustments.

For example, we might add 300-900 rules over the course of a day - then have that many (or more) removed when the new rule strength numbers are calculated.

Another factor that impacts rulebase size is the content of the rules. The folding process is not deterministic so it is possible for a few rule changes to significantly alter the way the rulebase file is folded. This is less likely to be the change but it is possible.

What was the date on the archive you used to compare sizes?