I agree entirely. If bandwidth has become an issue, it would be resolved with a focus on producing very tight and easily customizable scripts (a variables section in the top of the scripts). I believe that going the VBScript route might be the best way to go, or at least I believe that more of us can hack a more involved VBScript than a batch or CMD file. Enforcing compressed downloads and checking for timestamps prior to downloading should be done in these scripts as well.

Right now the script examples assume a familiarity with scripting, and while local participants can mostly handle that stuff, the non-vocal ones are most likely to not even be aware of the issues or how to fix them, and might have scripted timed downloads because it is definitely the easiest way to go. This is probably the majority of the customer base. There is an impression for instance with Declude's user base that +80% use primarily the default config which most of us know is severely lacking in comparison to the potential that exists by tweaking the settings.

With better script examples and a careful step-by-step readme promoted in a mailing to your customers, I believe that this issue could go away, or at least theoretically it should.

Personally, I have mine tied to the E-mails, I download the zipped versions, I don't bother checking on the status, and have never noticed any issues as a result. It would be a small shame if I was missing downloads due to timeouts, but not that big of a deal if this has never caused a noticeable problem.

Matt

Andy Schmidt wrote:

Pete,

With all due respect - I think the download problem is "self-inflicted",
because your web site is providing unsuitable examples to your customers!
Even with moderate bandwidth, your server would be able to handle tens of
thousands of hits a day. Checking if an updated file exists should barely
be noticeable - as long as it doesn't result in an unnecessary download.

You probably suffer TWO problems:

A) Most of your customers are downloading rules based on a schedule, even if
no rules exists. Potential savings: 100% per download attempt.

B) Your customers are not downloading "compressed" rule files. Potential savings: about 66%, but that's not bad either.

One likely explanation is that at least THREE of your sample scripts do an unconditional and uncompressed download! Here the 3 URLs you list on your web site and WGET command they are using:

http://www.sortmonster.com/MessageSniffer/Help/UserScripts/david_snifferUpda
teMethod.zip
wget http://www.sortmonster.net/Sniffer/Updates/xxxxxxxx.snf -O xxxxxxxx.new
--http-user=username --http-passwd=password

http://www.sortmonster.com/MessageSniffer/Help/UserScripts/Hank_SnifferScrip ts.zip wget http://www.sortmonster.net/Sniffer/Updates/xxxxxxxx.snf -O xxxxxxxx.new --http-user=sniffer --http-passwd=ki11sp8m

http://www.sortmonster.com/MessageSniffer/Help/UserScripts/Michiel_AutoUpdat
e.zip
wget
http://sniffer:[EMAIL PROTECTED]/Sniffer/Updates/12345678.snf -O
<serial>.tst

My recommendation: Replace these with examples that implement conditional, compressed downloading.

Best Regards
Andy Schmidt

H&M Systems Software, Inc.
600 East Crescent Avenue, Suite 203
Upper Saddle River, NJ 07458-1846

Phone:  +1 201 934-3414 x20 (Business)
Fax:    +1 201 934-9206

http://www.HM-Software.com/

-----Original Message----- From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Pete McNeil Sent: Monday, December 27, 2004 08:10 AM To: Chuck Schick Subject: Re: [sniffer] Downloads are slow...

On Monday, December 27, 2004, 1:17:21 AM, Chuck wrote:

CS> Pete:

CS> It appears on weekends the sniffer downloads are really slow. I am CS> downloading at 14 minutes past the hour and I am about 1/20 th of CS> the normal speed.

That is an unusual observation - I don't think weekends have anything to do
with making things slower. I will look at the logs to see if I can figure
out what heppened.

You're not manually downloading I hope?

-- ===================================================== MailPure custom filters for Declude JunkMail Pro. http://www.mailpure.com/software/ =====================================================