>Thunderbird and Netscape just takes the full original source and
>attaches it as a message/rfc822 attachment.  I forwarded this message
>back to the list by just pressing "Forward".

Interesting that they include the headers with a simple forward, without
specifying forward as attachment.  I haven't ever seen that behaviour before
in a mail client.  Seems like a few forwards would create a very bloated
message with all of the old headers.

>I'm pretty sure that
>Outlook Express works simply by just pressing Forward As Attachment, or
>at least it gives me enough of the original, including the full headers,
>to determine how to block the spam.

Yes it does.  However you've missed the point.  The issue is not how to get
the headers.  It is how to keep an email client from encoding the message
and headers differently, so that Sniffer can properly identify the rule that
caught the message.

>Please excuse me for wanting more detail about the Outlook attachment
>trick, but would you mind attaching this message to a response so that I
>could look at the headers and such?

Sorry, I don't use Outlook.  But I can tell you the steps to take in Outlook
2003 (other versions are almost exactly the same).  I have my Outlook users
follow these with no problem.

1. Create a new email message
2. Click the arrow beside the paperclip icon, select item instead of file
from the dropdown
3. Browse mailboxes from the popup dialog to select the message to attach.
4. Viola, original message and headers attached.

>There was a discussion about Outlook's behavior with Scott some time
>ago.  Apparently Microsoft was pressured by customers to remove headers
>when forwarding because they felt that they were a security/privacy
>risk.  No one told them that Outlook was a security/privacy risk on it's
>own :)  ...but that's another story.  I would probably feel different if
>I had the need for groupware though, but digs at Microsoft are
>irresistible sometimes.

I don't remember that discussion, and am not sure we're talking about the
same thing.  If you attach the original message via the steps above, you get
the full original message, headers and body.  We have a number of customers
who send spam reports this way, mostly on Outlook 2002 and 2003.

Darin