I've never used it, Pete.

My first reaction was... don't go to a third party (XYNTService, SrvAny,
FireDaemon) just make the executable a full fledged Windows Service.

I do realize that you'd be reluctant to do that given the additional
complexity of the code, none of which is portable to the *nix version
where the SNFServer would run as a daemon.

Since you, as a the developer, start with XNTService with the source
code,

http://www.codeproject.com/KB/system/xyntservice.aspx

then you can modify it and deploy it any way you want (yes, I read the
Terms of Service at the site), including giving it a Message Sniffer
name and localizing the installation in your folder to prevent
versioning issues if the server is already using XNTService for
something else.

So it does seem less bad that at first, but if you're going to be
supporting XNTService because you built it, and you're going to be
supporting your own SNFServer.exe because you built it... you'd aim
higher and write SNFServer.exe as a Windows Service anyway.

Andrew.