Hello Andy,

Wednesday, October 8, 2008, 1:13:50 AM, you wrote:

Hi Pete,

Thanks for giving it your consideration. If you decide to revise these parameteres, then it will require an extra command in your script (because the WGET command will output the compressed file as .SNF).

There is actually a bit more to it than that -- The existing script generally works even though it doesn't preserve the servers's timestamp because:

1. It is usually triggered from the SNFServer when SNF detects a newer rulebase file.

2. Any rulebase fill recently downloaded is guaranteed to be newer provided the local server's clock is correct (or close to it).

Also -- are you saying that with the parameters you've provided WGET would decompress the file on it's own so that we wouldn't need to do that in our script? If so, how does it know for sure where to find GZIP? If not then it would be a little dangerous to have a .snf file around that looked correct but was in fact not yet decompressed.

Another consideration is that if the file name is going to collide with the existing rulebase file we would want to move that into another location so that we don't stomp the existing rulebase file until we've tested the new one.

It would be preferable to use WGET since there's nothing wrong with it and we've been using it long enough that most SNF folks already have it.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't provide an alternate script that works with CURL just in case someone has a preference.

Best,

Pete McNeil

Chief Scientist,

Arm Research Labs, LLC.