Hello Bonno,

Monday, January 5, 2009, 1:50:40 AM, you wrote:

Hi,

I was wondering about something and could not find info about it on the Sniffer documentation page.

I have several files in my sniffer directory with a date of today. Logfiles, rulesbases etc.

The next most recent files are my GBUdbIgnoreList.txt getrulebase.cmd, etc. which I have made changes to.

But there are at least three strange files file no filename part: .handshake, .state, and .tmp of which the .handshake has a dat of today but the other two are of july 2008 (aroung my installation date for sniffer 3)

What are those three files for and should those dates indeed be that old?

.handshake is part of your SNF SYNC process. Each time SNF synchronizes with our servers it generates a new temporary key and stores it in this file.

.status is intended to contain a persistent state of operating counters between restarts of SNFServer. For example, to keep track of when the last SYNC operation or GBUdb condensation operation occurred. There is a bug in that part of the code that is a low priority. The .status system may be dropped in future versions or the bug may be corrected. Most likely the .status file you have was from the last time SNFServer was cleanly stopped.

The .tmp file is a bit of a mystery, but it might have been written by the GBUdb engine when you first installed SNF or at some other time in the past. It is safe to delete the ".tmp" file.

Best,

Pete McNeil

Chief Scientist,

Arm Research Labs, LLC.