Hello Sniffer Folks,

DST Update Problem: A bug in the old getRulebase.cmd script caused Win* systems to discard the server's timestamp on rulebase files and substitute the local timestamp. As a result any system that change to DST (daylight savings time) after our rulebase delivery servers would continuously show a newer rulebase file on our servers. As a result these systems would repeatedly download the rulebase file as quickly as they could.

Solutions:

1. Everyone should upgrade their getRulebase.cmd script to the latest version: http://www.armresearch.com/message-sniffer/download/CURL-getRulebase.zip

** Note that most *NIX systems do not have the same problem with wget, but everyone should check. *** Note that going forward a CURL based update script is preferred. Since CURL is available on most *NIX systems by default we do not expect this to be a problem.

2. If not upgrading to the latest version then they should modify their wget based scripts to ensure that the server's timestamp on the rulebase file is preserved.

3. Since many systems will not be upgraded in the short term, we are also taking action on the delivery server to prevent problems with ruelbase updates: From now on a new rulebase will show it's new timestamp for 5 minutes after it is posted. Then the timestamp will be pushed back one hour to limit the amount of time systems with later DST transitions will see the files as new.

The results of this change will be:

* Systems that have upgraded to the new getRulebase.cmd script or are using an otherwise correct update script will see no difference. By default, SNFSync events occur about once per minute and since the new rulebase file will be shown with it's current timestamp for 5 minutes each correctly configured SNF node will see and download the fresh rulebase file as soon as it is available.

* Some systems that have not upgraded may attempt to download a new rulebase file twice, or possibly three times depending upon timing. However after that time (based on a 180 second guard time) these systems should cease to see the rulebase files as new and will stop trying to download the files. Once these systems move to DST they will operate normally. Of course we hope that all systems will upgrade their update scripting before this!

* Systems that are using a scheduled task to update their rulebase may sometimes see the newer time stamp and may sometimes see the delayed (one hour old) timestamp. This will cause update lag to shift in time with an average of 30 minutes.

At this time this seems to be the best compromise for everyone.

We apologize for any inconvenience.