From: Message Sniffer Community [mailto:snif...@sortmonster.com] On Behalf
Of Kaj Søndergaard Laursen
Sent: Sunday, February 21, 2010 7:10 PM
To: Message Sniffer Community
Subject: [sniffer] Outgoing spam filtering

Hi

I have now twice had users who are sending spam. One of them I am very
certain must be a phishing victim – a connection from an IP in Nigeria at
the same time the users was connected from her home DSL.

We are using Microsoft Exchange and sending through a Microsoft SMTP server
on the DMZ. We do not have any spam-filtering on-premise at the moment. Only
inbound smtp is filtered by our colleagues in another part of the
organization (we are part of a university). So I’m just asking on this list
because I know that there is a lot of experts on this list (and I used
sniffer when I ran the spam-filtering myself).

I talked with the support at one of the bigger Danish spam-filtering
providers that were listing all our mail as spam. The only recommendation
they could give was to change the IP-address that I was using to send mail.
That won’t help the receivers of the spam much J

So can you recommend anything to stop outbound spam? Should I just run it
through a spam-filter like I do with inbound, or is there a better solution?

Venlig hilsen

Kaj Laursen
IT-chef
Telefonnr.: 9629 6229

  _____

Aarhus Universitet, Handels- og IngeniørHøjskolen  | Birk Centerpark 15 |
7400 Herning
97 20 83 11 |  <mailto:i...@hih.au.dk> i...@hih.au.dk |
<http://www.hih.au.dk/> www.hih.au.dk

  _____