Hi Sniffer Folks,

According to our latest data, the Short-Match FP problem has subsided -
most likely due to rule sequestration. We have not seen any significant
events in our detection software since 2100e last evening.

In the mean time we have updated the SNF software to check for
short-match events and treat them as rule-panic events. This renders
them inert so that if this kind of rulebase corruption occurs again the
SNF engine will be immune.

Please update your SNF software to this latest version using the links
below.

NOTE: The Windows installer is in the process of being redesigned and
does not have the latest software. This will take some time. If you are
using SNF on Windows and use(d) the installer then use this procedure to
update your software:

* Stop your SNF service (usually XYNT Service based).
* Copy your SNFServer.exe file to SNFServer.old
* Download SNFServer-windows-7-prox32-3.1.0.exe (32 bit) or
SNFServer-windows-7-prox64-3.1.0.exe (64 bit) and rename it to
SNFServer.exe to replace your previous SNFServer.exe.
* Start your SNF service.

If you were using the 32 bit version (very likely) then replace it with
the 32 bit version. There really isn't any difference, but just in case
it's simpler to keep things the same. There is no benefit to running the
64 bit version -- It is not faster and is in fact less efficient due to
the use of extra large (64 bit) pointers that aren't necessary ;-) Some
folks really want a 64 bit version, so we have one.

Here are some links to updated versions:

http://www.armresearch.com/message-sniffer/download/updates/SNFServer-windows-7-prox32-3.1.0.exe
http://www.armresearch.com/message-sniffer/download/updates/SNFServer-windows-7-prox64-3.1.0.exe
http://www.armresearch.com/message-sniffer/download/updates/snf-server-3.1.0.tar.gz
http://www.armresearch.com/message-sniffer/download/updates/snf-milter-1.1.1.tar.gz
http://www.armresearch.com/message-sniffer/download/updates/SNFMultiSDK_Windows_3.2.zip

And for the really adventurous:

http://www.armresearch.com/message-sniffer/download/packages/

In the packages link you will find all of the latest snapshots and some
old ones from our LabRats. The LabRats compile and test SNF for all of
the different platforms. You will find RPM and DEB packages as well as
tarballs and even the windows stuff that's posted in the updates links
above. Be sure to pick the latest version in all cases.

It will take a bit of time before all of the ordinary links on our web
site are updated with the latest software, so please use the above links
instead if you're going to update right now.

Best,

Pete McNeil
Chief Scientist
ARM Research Labs, LLC