Scobie et al,

I believe you have covered the sandpapered subject very well.

I would like to add that a handfull of power sanders can make quick work
of moving material.  I have a complete cabinet shop left over from a
previous life. I use table belt sanders, vibrating sanders, orbital
sanders, vertical belt sanders, and of course let us not forget Chris
Adams and his great Scrollsanders.

Above, when I said quick work of moving material, therein lies a big
problem. You have to be very delicate when using power sanders so you
don't remove more than you want, make rounds into lopsided octagons etc.
Typically, I use about two grits finer than I would with hand sanding.
This helps to prevent oversanding.

When I get the object roughed out with saws and power sanders, I go with
Scobie said so very well.

Have fun

Lynford
Reno Flightline