Chris,

That is VERY enlightening.  I had just discovered I needed my elevator in my turns once I have the ship banked.  I think I am going to return my rudder to my right stick.  It will make flying it easier.  And when I fly the aileron ships I will move it to the left side.

Thanks again..

jay

Hi Jay,

I have been flying my Photon 1 in the IHLGF for 4 years.  I have a Watson tailgroup on it (Spyderfoam/FG) which is close to the type the Photon II has.  I use alot of rudder throw and use the rudder for tight thermals, as well as using it for drag breaking and stalling.  You have to use the rudder in many ways, in order to get down fast, especially close to the ground.  Rudders may not stall themselves but they DO STALL THE PLANE.  You can go to the Drela sites and read about how tail surfaces stall.  Here are my observation and use.

1)  I use ALOT of rudder throw.  My desire is to up end the wing ASAP if I want to core a tight thermal.
2)  I use  Exponential on my Rudder, mainly to create the ability to put in minor changes when first moving the stick, and major throws on the extremes.
3)  If I need to use it, especially at high altitudes, I have my dual rates set up to be 40-50% fo my normal throws.  I use this when I need to fly smoothly high, as well as letting some others fly the plane.
4)  Rudders do stall.  However, if you are experincing Rudder stalls from level flight, then your CG is back to far.  Basically, you need to increase your glide speed slightly, as you are right at the point where any drag slows the entire wing down and it stalls.  Be aware, that your slowest glidespeed may not be your best L/D speed.  Often you need to add down elevator to speed the plane up then initiate the turn.
5)  When flying rudder/Elevator, you do need to add up elevator in your turns.  You will find that once you initiate a bank, only the elevator is required.  The rudder is then only used to keep the plane in the bank when required, and level when it attempts to tuck in tighter in the turn.
6)  I use rudder as a Spoiler/Brake all the time.  There are 2 methods.
7)  Method 1:  If you oscillate your rudder fast, the plane does not respond, BUT the rudder acts as drag and brakes the airplane.  It is like a swing/pendulum/harmonic thing.  Try it when you are close to the ground apparoaching for a catch.  Basically a rudder drag brake.
8)  Method 2:  If you move the rudders slowly, you can get a wings oscillation set up.  Big Throws make is so you can respond to making the plane turn back fast.  Doing this, you can essentially induced a s-turn and after 3 turns, like right, left, right, the wing tips will stall and you can getthe plane to drop 10 feet or so.
9)  There are methods to do elevator stalls coming in.  You pull upp elevator up to a stall, let the nose drop, then pull up for a stall, but just as it peaks give down to level the plane then pull full up, which essentially mushes the wing in a flying level stall and the plane drops vertically while still flying.
All these methods do require practice.  Bill Watson often said that for R/E ships 1 ft = 1 sec of flight time, so you can basically gauge how high you need to be to make a time.
10)  While most now do not do it, I like to fly a gyro on a poly ship.  I tune down the gyro so that the rudder does ge affected when thermaling.  Try to tune it down as low as possible as required for the throw, but so it does not affect thermal turns.
11)  My Rudders are fairly thick, and the LEs blunted.  the Drella sites will talk about airfoil deadband, as well as stalling.
12) As for the Rudder stick, are you right handed or left handed.  As a right handed person I have flown with R/E on the right stick. This is like most.

I have been flying R/E HLGs for a very long time and basically those who fly aileron ships never realize the handicaps R/E ships have.  Sometimes I ask a aileron flyer to try a R/E ship because it does require a blend of R/E that shows a aileron pilot the need to add more rudder in turns.  I envy the aileron giys alot too, they fly their planes well.

Good Luck,

Chris Adams
LSF 348 LvL 5 (#8)