Tom,

I shortened your note below to focus on this question of whether anyone
cares about you.  I did not make the comment you cite, "just do the tasks",
but I might have said something like that if you and I were chatting.  It
would have been a positive encouragement.

By that I would mean that I see the goal of these challenges it to give you
a benchmark against which you can measure yourself and focus on ways to
improve your flying.  If that is your goal, then "just do the challenges"
and you will accomplish that.  If you want to document the accomplishments,
then keep a log of your flying.  If you can't compete because there are not
competitions near you, or you prefer not to, that should not hold you back
from improving your skills.

If, on the other hand, your goal is to get a certificate, that's different
and a self development plan will not help you achieve that goal. If you
don't see the LSF as achievable in order to receive the certifications, then
find or establish some other measurement.  If the burden to meet the LSF
requirements is too great, don't worry about it.  Why does it matter?

It is not a question of whether anyone cares about you, but about what you
care about.  If you fly alone, always, then who will know or care if you
have an LSF certificate.  If you want to challenge yourself, then just do
it!

I belong to a soaring club and LSF is not even discussed among the members.
If anyone has achieved an LSF level, I am not aware of it.  Other than one
time when I wanted to know what the LSF was, I have not reviewed or studied
the LSF requirements.  From what I understand, it sounds like a good
program, but the certificates are not important to me at this time. And,
BTW, I have plenty of access to competitions, and I do compete and plan to
compete more.  But I compete because it is fun, not to meet an LSF level
Bringing home a prize or an award is great, but it is not the reason I go to
the competitions.

Did you ever see the movie, "The Karate Kid"?  Daniel asks his teacher what
belt he has.  He responds, "JC Penny!"  He did not need some award in order
to achieve of excellence at his craft, and neither do you.

Best Regards,
Ed Anderson