Here is something different for sailplane contests that has a lot of flying
time and is all about soaring, although a optional landing task can be
included.

Several years ago when my Wood Crafters event were just starting,  Bob
Johnson suggested a ladder task.  Somewhere I read about this type of task
and when Bob suggested it,  it really clicked in for me.  This task is now
being used by several clubs that sponsor woody contests, the main benefit is
the extreme flying time this task allows at the discretion of the pilot.
One entry per frequency is necessary to make this task work.

I prefer the three minute ladder after running the two minute ladder for a
couple of years at Wood Crafters.  On a very good thermal day and 30 or more
flyers, it takes at least reaching 27 minutes to win the event.  That
results in 2 hrs and 35 min flight time without counting the missed steps.
Any number of attempts are allowed and the flight time requirements are
consecutive, not random.

The task is easy to promote, it only takes one or two winches with
retrievers, and they will be busy.  The contestant self times, this is not
precision duration, so any flight time over the goal time is not a factor.
Self timing and one entry per frequency means everyone on the field, with
the exception of the guys running the winches, can be flying.  Scoring is
not required, the contestants card takes care of that task and in the event
of a tie, I recommend a fly off, there fun to be in and fun to watch.

The ladder task can make a great monthly club contest task because it
promotes more time in the air.

Try it, maybe it will bring more pilots to the flying field.

Ray Hayes
skybench.com
Home of Wood Crafters