I have maintained the Eastern Soaring League winches for several years. The one thing I've never had to replace an any of the four winches are the solenoids. There was one time when it appeared that there was a solonoid failure. Upon closer examination, it was just a loose connection that had begun to arc and eventually lose all electrical connection. The solenoid was fine, I just had to clean and tighten the connection to the solenoid.

Phil