That makes Good sense. Some people have to much time to think. GOOD Job Dave !!! ----- Original Message ----- From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: "Marc Gellart" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "Soaring Exchange" <soaring@airage.com>
Sent: Friday, December 21, 2007 10:44 PM
Subject: [RCSE] Launching Sanity

Long, but read it anyway.

Tension limiter discussions come and go and even the simplest concepts not only add a substantial cost to each winch an more potential failure points which could put a winch in a contest situation down for the day, where a broken line can usually repaired within a few minutes. Two things that we can do to stanardise winch power, minimize line breakage and make winches more user friendly are:

1 ) A simple 1/2 stainless steel threaded rod installed between the FLS and the power from the solenoid can be adjusted to provide the resistance specs for F3B winches.

Remember that the resistor rod is threaded so adjustment is simple with a pair of jam nuts. There are a few checking devises for F3B winch certification that should be available to proof the setup. AMA has one.

The target setup should be the same as current (pun intended) requirements for F3B winches for a standard and then any winch could be used for all TD comps,an F3B comp and possibly to run an F3J comp also. The stainless rod is also unaffected by the heat generated by contest loads and cannot fail during heavy use.

Also the cost can't be more than $10 to $12 per winch. That reads CHEAP ! I have done this mod thee times and and can testify to it's ease of installation and cost.

2 ) The slightly lower power achieved above, and I mean slightly, allows for lower lb test line which will cost less and more importantly allow some stretch at the launch release giving the pilot a better choice on the amount of line tension preferred, instead of jerking the sailplane out of his hand. Also could be an easier launch with the more fragile wood constructed sailplanes.

This mod has been done 3 times by yours truly with successful results. I see where Mr Hands Off Retriever fame, Rick Botha is supplying the SWC comp with a winch resistor system and that will be the start of something. We have to quit talking about this and get it done.

I propose that we get the Soaring Nats winches resistorised for this years Soaring Nats and with lighter line than the 300 lb test line that we have migrated to this last year.

Regards, Dave Corven.
Also Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

From: Marc Gellart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
From what I have seen in this thread, the two real simple, straight forward suggesions seem to be, lower capacity batteries like used in B, and lighter line, like 200# (which the Dayton club already uses and it works just fine for
them except they have a great grass field and and no humps in it).

Personnally I just hate downwind launches (my problem huh?) and tension limiters sound worse than retrievers to keep working correctly. I am really interested to hear how SWC goes to see how Rick's resistor set up works, that might work
just fine.

I've had my arse chewed on privitaly about somethings here, heh, these are just ideas, right? Still wished we all had the B winches though, then there is no
problem.

Marc

Have a great Christmas, and holiday with your families!
RCSE-List facilities provided by Model Airplane News. Send "subscribe" and
"unsubscribe" requests to [EMAIL PROTECTED]  Please note that
subscribe and unsubscribe messages must be sent in text only format with MIME
turned off.  Email sent from web based email such as Hotmail and AOL are
generally NOT in text format