Ben,

I have never been so insulted as what you have posted here.  Perhaps
Jeff and Bret are just as insulted.

I have been flying HLG longer than you are probably old, old enough for
me to be your father and grandfather!

Just so you know, there were three other US pilots at the German Open,
yet you never acknowledge US!!!!!!!!!!

I have flown HLG long before anybody ever thought about HLG contests.  I
flew in Dave Thornburg's HLG contest, and even designed a 66" HLG for it
which parallels what we fly today.

I fly HLG/DLG because it gives me the enjoyment and independence of not
having to wait for winch lines or frequency control.

Jeff Carr, Bret Carr and I supported our US group and flew.  We may not
be the creme of the crop that Oleg, Bruce, Paul or Phil may  be, but we
participate for each of our own reasons.  You make it sound like we are
invisible to the rest of the group.  I think you are somewhat lost.

I design and build DLGs because I enjoy the opportunity that they offer
me.  Of the US group, besides Oleg who flew his 5 year old Taboo
designs, I was the only US guy there flying My Own design!!!

DLG pilots fly DLG for one basic reason, it allows each of us to fly
independently and to not depend on waiting for winches or any other
complaints from others.  I can go out and fly in the AM, Noon hour, or
PM, and enjoy my time hunting the elusive thermal.  Contests are not the
only thing that matters in this world when it comes to flying.  Some of
us design, others fly, but in the end we fly fly fly!.

In my opinion, the AMA does not know what DLG is doing for the world of
soaring.  TD contests will be going by the wayside.  Bruce Davidson put
it quite plainly at the German Open to me, "why should he travel 10
hours, fly three or 4 flights then drive back from a TD contest", when
he can fly DLG, many rounds and many flights and have the enjoyment of
not having to just do spot landings.

I will go to more DLG contests than TD contests this year and I am
perhaps giving up TD contest entirely.  I can do the social event at
HLG/DLG contests and still get the technical and design satisfaction of
DLG flying. After all What is  DLG but a subclass of TD.  Perhaps we
should be saying that TD is really a subclass of HLG/DLG because we used
to thermal out TD ships from Hand launches when we test glided TD ships!

Personally I see DLG support  by the AMA replacing F3B and even perhaps
F3J, as a world class group.

So I think you owe Jeff, Bret and Me an apology for not recognizing us
as participants at the German Open at the same level as Oleg, Bruce,
Paul, Phil and the rest.

Don't forget, Bret did make the Junior flyoffs and did place in that
realm!

Please come back when you realize there are others who fly also.

Thermals,

Chris Adams
LSF 348 Lvl V (#8)