Below is a website with instructions for converting a starter motor for reverse
operation.
You may already have found these but just in case here they are.

"Converting car starter motors for your robot"
http://homepages.which.net/~paul.hills/Motors/Starters/Starters.html

See also, the website below.
"The Selection, Connection, Reversing and Repair of Electric Motors" by Robert
W. Lamparter
http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/elec-mtr/elec-mtr.html

-John Elliott  (Seattle)