Craig,

If it is dope based, then acetone will work fine.  However, any color in
the dope will probably remain in the wood or seep into the wood.  I
might try nail polish remover, as it has some MEK, which like acetone,
works but is less volatile and may contain some nitromethane.  You might
try methylene chloride or chloroform.  I do not thin isopropyl alcohol
will work, but perhaps some mineral spirits.  Do remember that if there
is any foam, then all this stuff is useless.  I have a Friend who works
alot with nitrate dope and tissue who I will try to contact for more
info.  He is a free flighter from 40 years ago!

Chris