All,

I'm enjoying the discussion about contest participation, it must be that
time of year again. I took a year off of glider competition to get into
pattern flying (yeah I know). I'm also a member of a pattern discussion list
like this soaring list.

This very same discussion occured on the pattern list not two weeks ago.
There are a great deal of simularities between glider and pattern
competition, and I have found that there are many cross over pilots like
myself (I see alot of familiar names on the pattern list...guys, your secret
is safe with me). I like competition, each contest I go to in whatever
discipline I learn alot more about flying and aircraft set-up in a day  than
a month of weekends fun flying. If you want to learn something new, all you
have to do is ask and you will usually get more than you ask for.

The bottom line is competition is something you have to really, really want
to do. Some people are into it, and some are not. If you do not like flying
in a specific format, with rules, having people who are better pilots beat
you,  and a contest director telling you when to fly, please do not go. You
will not have fun. Go to a fun fly, and enjoy yourself.  I agree that some
of the glider formats are boring, but I'm beginning to see MOM format which
is cool and I would love to try a multitask contest. BTW if you do not like
people sitting right behind you, and judging your flying do not take up
pattern!

Greg Morris