At 10:57 AM 7/11/2003 -0500, James V. Bacus wrote:
I wonder why all these strong pilots fly RES, and why it's popularity is growing?

Jim,

I dunno.... I think its because its another chance to compete. And lets remember that RES is unlimited in wingspan so you don't have to be as quick to find lift off of launch as you do with 2meter, nor do you have to fly as well to get hang time. Some guys value these attributes.

Just to be contrary, I don't really see any "hi-tech" RES ships out there. Sure some are made of fiberglass and carbon but I don't think that buys you very much. These materials are no longer uncommon or hard to obtain. A good spar on a built up will keep you in the game if you are adept and practiced at flying it. The real leveling factor is that you can only have rudder, elevator and spoiler controls. That means fewer servos and that a 4 channel radio can do the job. How hi-tech can a plane be if you don't need a computer radio to fly it? ;-) It appears to me to be a nice step up for new guys who want to move up from their initial 2meter ships without jumping directly into a computer radio and all those additional control surfaces and mixing nightmares. It is also an inexpensive long wing 2nd ship for backup for the primary unlimited ship.

As for competition, I don't see how we could rationally get much simpler than RES unless we promulgated a single design ship. Nostalgia doesn't even level the competition playing field that much since even in nostalgia wing span and designs vary greatly. And for those of us who took up RC soaring after 1990, nostalgia is kind of a mystery. Those are just old airplanes to us.

Just some rambling thoughts
Rick