From: John Derstine [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, October 23, 2003 4:08 AM
To: 'JMiller'; [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [RCSE] Re: 2004 Nats X/C

Actually the Scale aertow X-C at Montague was not any official event and
was open to all sizes and weight. This wasn't the winch event, but a
separate contest as I understand it. At least that was what I was told
by Dean Gradwell and Mike Gee. Ask Dean about this, he is very excited
about the prospects of giant scale XC.
Regardless, you could easily run side by side events at the NATS and
have the scale aerotow xc be an unofficial NATs event, thereby bypassing
any currents rules. The only downside is there would be no NATS trophies
for this part of the event. I can help out with a trophy or two as long
as it would not be prohibitively expensive. Talk to Steve Kaluf. We did
this very thing the first several years our "new" scale rules were under
review. This allowed a continuation of the event under provisional
rules.
Been there done it.
If you want to do it, you would have to most likely clone the rules from
the existing event and make minor changes to allow aerotow and heavier
sailplanes.
It is easy to come up with reasons why not to do something, just do it!
John

Endless Mountain Models
http://www.scalesoaring.net