On Tue, Sep 07, 2004 at 12:52:36PM -0700, Jeff & Constance Reagan wrote:

|    Anbody  out there remember the radios that JR made for Circus Hobbies,
|    circa  1985?   Were  the  receivers that came with those radios narrow
|    band/dual conversion?

I don't remember these (I wasn't even in the hobby at the time), but I
believe that it was 1988 or so that they even started selling narrow
band equipment.  After 1992, all transmitters manufactured must be
narrow band.

Previous to 1988 I believe all (most?) radios were set up for 80 kHz
channel seperations.  I think it was only 1988 that they started
making radios that could handle 40 kHz channel seperations -- which is
still not narrow band.  And in 1991 or so they started making narrow
band equipment, and in 1998 narrow band equipment became legally
mandatory.

If it really was made in 1985, I *seriously* doubt it's narrow band.

Of course, it's still legal to use it if you wish -- it's only
transmitters that legally must be narrow band.  I wouldn't trust it in
a plane, but it ought to be ok for bench work (though it might be a
bit dangerous for use with electric planes, even on the bench.)  You
could test it by tranmsitting on it's channel and an adjacent channel,
but even that isn't a proper test, because a pager tower could be
using the bandwidth between those two channels.

Here's a reference for much of this --

   http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=1992Sep14.210033.4399%40bmerh85.bnr.ca

--
Doug McLaren, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Blessed are they that run around in circles, for they shall be known