On Mon, Oct 18, 2004 at 02:12:43PM -0000, tonyestep wrote:

| In general this is the case with any commercial product or service
| that emits radiation. However, the FCC's intent in this case
| apparently is to give power companies a free pass to radiate across
| the entire 2-30 mhz spectrum, remediating their interference only if
| those affected can win a court battle.

It's not *quite* that bad.  The BPL providers can only emit so much
energy -- and it's a pretty small amount, at least compared to our
uses.  If found to be emitting more than that much energy (which is
probably quite likely to happen) the FCC is supposed to make them fix
it.  And probably will, but it probably won't be easy to make it
happen.

Hams have been dealing the powerline produced noise for a long time.
How well it's dealt with depends on the power company in question --
some are really good, and some are bad and only do something when the
FCC or local PUC gets on their case.  And many don't have a clue what
to do, let alone how to do it ...

With BPL in operation, I'd expect a lot more of the `bad' ...

| (Actually, the present BPL specs probably wouldn't affect RC planes
| operating on 72, as no 72 mhz energy would be radiated by power
| lines).

Most systems being currently tested use 3-30 mHz.  But most companies
are considering extending the bandwidth to as high as 80 mHz to allow
increased data rates.  If BPL ever becomes popular, this is almost
certain to happen.  R/C is not `out of the woods' here, and I see
nothing in the recent FCC documents that restrict BPL to under 30 mHz.

| Despite all this, there will doubtless be some companies who will
| try it, so a long battle lies ahead for those who oppose BPL. It is
| very possible that some day the HF spectrum will be gone, filled
| only with the buzz of radiation that would have been illegal until
| last Thursday.

Well, the FCC regulations have always allowed emitting a certain
amount of noise, even in bandwidths allocated to other uses, and this
is nothing new.  BPL supposedly does stay within these rules (the BPL
proponents tried have the limits increased for them, but I don't think
that's happened yet) so the actual amount of the interference should
be small.  Alas, it's small compared to most things, but it'll be huge
compared to most HF signals that hams deal with, and utterly pervasive
across the entire HF band.  BPL is a disaster for HF ham radio.

However, I wouldn't expect BPL to affect RC usage much (even if BPL
goes up to 80 mHz) -- it might create a zone around the power lines at
the back of your field where it's not safe to fly, but I don't know
exactly how large this zone would be -- it might be so small that it
wouldn't be safe to fly in that zone anyways for fear of hitting the
power lines.

This would require some measurements of a BPL system in operation --
even if they're not going up to 80 mHz yet, one could probably
extrapolate by testing 27 mHz equipment easily enough.  I would have
hoped that the AMA would have already done this, but I've seen nothing
about this.

| This noise, similar to what you hear on your AM car radio when you
| tune between stations and race the motor,

To be fair, the noise doesn't really sound that much like what you've
described.  The videos at
http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/HTML/plc/aud-vid.html will let you listen
to it, if you wish.

| shall henceforth be called "Powell noise."

Cute.  Sort of like Santorum.  (If you've never heard of it,
http://www.rotten.com/library/sex/sodomy/santorum/, though it'll
probably offend some people.  You have been warned.)

--
Doug McLaren, [EMAIL PROTECTED], AD5RH
FORTUNE PROVIDES QUESTIONS FOR THE GREAT ANSWERS:
 #19   A: To be or not to be.
       Q: What is the square root of 4b^2?