Sounds like fun!  But I am curious as to what models are flown: older
HLGs vs. newer DLGs, Polly vs. flaperon, or originals?  Maybe a
little of all?  Regis

--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], "Tim Bennett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> For the last several years we at the Soaring League of North Texas
(SLNT)
> have been developing a competition format we call the Class-A
Scramble using
> 50 meter upstarts.  The upstart is 25' of 3/16 natural yellow
rubber (~$40
> for 100' at Tower) with enough monofilament to make 50 meters plus
a color
> coded parachute.  We set out four identical upstarts side-by-side
on the
> field with matching color cones set at a distance measured for a
four pound
> pull.  Flight groups of four models launch together and fly until
the last
> is down.  Points are awarded based on one for first down, two for
second, up
> to four for the last guy down.  We run a watch on each flight group
so all
> flyers still in the air at the end of five minutes get four points.
If a
> model lands out of bounds, he gets a zero and all the others in the
group
> get credit for beating him regardless of when he landed.
>
> Each flyer flies the same number of rounds (usually six or eight).
The
> scramble part comes from the fact that flyers can fly whenever they
want.
> Eventually, if someone is way behind on flights he will be asked to
step up,
> but otherwise each goes when he wants.  It helps if there are no
frequency
> conflicts so we ask guys to come prepared to change frequencies.
>
> We keep track of the flight group results so ties can usually be
resolved
> based on head-to-head matchups.  If there is an uneven number or
someone
> drops out, we have dummy flyers fill out the last flight groups.
The dummies
> are volunteers from those with the lowest total scores. To make
dummy rounds
> competitive, a dummy can use the result of the dummy round to
replace his
> lowest score.
>
> Usually, in the beginning, guys look to fly against those they
think they
> can beat. Eventually, however, they see they have to try to fly
against
> those they must beat.  The strategy gets exciting at times.
>
> This format has proven so popular that we are doing it eight or
nine of the
> twelve contests per year.  We usually attract 10 to 15 flyers per
month. Of
> these, more than half are in their 60's and 70's and are quite
competitive.
> The contests move along quite quickly and are easy to run and
score.  An
> eight round contest with 12 flyers takes about three hours.  There
isn't
> much sitting and visiting going on.
>
> If you are ever in the Dallas/ Ft Worth area on the third Sunday of
the
> month come on out and join us.
>

> RCSE-List facilities provided by Model Airplane News.
Send "subscribe" and "unsubscribe" requests to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Please note that subscribe and unsubscribe messages must be sent in
text only format with MIME turned off.