I bought an Alpha 4 about six or seven years ago and have been quite
happy with it.  But (there is always a but) it did not have a
separate discharge function – it only cycled (once).  NiCads like to
be left discharged I have been led to believe.  Ni-MH on the other
hand like to be fully charged – and can be harmed if fully
discharged.  So I have replaced most of my NiCads.  What I learned
was that I could not safely charge them on the Alpha 4 'Peak'
function or even the 'c/10' function – only the 'Fast charge'
function.  Recently I acquired two KAN Ni-MH 7 cell packs and was
surprised to find that the Alpha 4 could not automatic charge them
safely – they got very hot.  Since both packs got very hot, I suspect
the KAN cells are just not compatible with Alpha 4 technology (which
is easily 20 years old).  (I mean we can plug in a cell phone to
charge and just forget it.)   Is there something about the KAN type
cells that are different or is this an anomaly?  Regis