The best advice is perhaps to obey the regulations present in the
country you are visiting. Fly with established pilots who know the area.
We would expect visitors to this country to use our frequencies.
That said, We had some issues regarding this when we ran the Elmira
aerotows and entertained guest pilots from Germany and Switzerland. We
offered free support for JR flyers compliments of Horizon hobbies with
modules and crystal sets, we strongly suggested multiplex owners invest
in appropriate sets before coming over here. Most pilots complied, but a
few refused to give up what they considered their "safe" 35 Mhrz
equipment. They came armed with scanners and we agreed to let them fly
since they had traveled so far. There were two crashes involving these
pilots one year. Now we do not know what caused the crashes but we had
our suspicions. After that no more nice guys, we insisted on compliance
in following years.
When visiting Germany in 1998, I found certain pilots residing there
flying what they called Schwartz frequencies or black channels. These
were techies who used some secret military (I think) frequencies to
avoid being shot down at various slopes where there were several launch
areas and virtually no frequency control.
Not sure what the moral of this story is, but play it safe, use what is
legal where you travel. Fly only where you are sure it is safe, follow
local advice, or carry a scanner.

JD

Endless Mountain Models
http://www.scalesoaring.com