On Thu, Dec 23, 2004 at 08:47:59PM -0800, D Hauch wrote:

| I seen I left a 4 cell, 1100 mah Nicad RX pack on for 24 hours.
| Does this harm the cells at all ?

Presumably the cells are all now 99+% empty ...

By itself, that's just fine with NiCd or NiMH cells, but the problem
is that in any pack of more than one cell, one cell is the `weakest',
and when all the pack is completely discharged, that weakest cell gets
`reversed charged' by the other cells after it goes completely dead,
which weakens it further.

Yes, it damages the pack -- in particular, it makes that weakest cell
a bit weaker.  However, assuming that the pack is made up of
approximately identical cells (not carefully matched, but not mixed
cell capacities either) the effect is going to be small.

Doing this once, your pack is probably fine -- perhaps it's lost 1% of
it's capacity or so.  Just don't make a habit of it.

If you have a cycler, you could cycle the pack and measure the
capacity just to reassure yourself that it's ok.

--
Doug McLaren, [EMAIL PROTECTED]                                    lp1 on fire