On Tue, Feb 22, 2005 at 02:51:06PM -0700, Daniel Moss wrote:

| Can anyone tell me what is meant when a receiver is "Dual Conversion"(DC)?
| And are all receives either DC or something else, say Single Conversion?
| Thanx

No, there's single conversion.  And triple conversion as well, though
it's not usually used in R/C receivers.  (You see it mentioned more in
scanners.)

Berg describes the differences between SC and DC a little here --
http://www.bergent.net/SC-DC.pdf.  Of course, the article is designed
to say why his SC receivers don't suck (as many SC receivers do), but
he does explain the gist of how they work too.

As a general rule of thumb, most SC R/C receivers suck, with limited
range and limited ability to reject interference.  This isn't really
the fault of the SC design per se -- it's more that when you're trying
to make things small and cheap, you tend to gravitate towards SC, as
it is simpler.

However, there are exceptions.  Most JR receivers are SC, and they
don't suck.  And the Berg receivers are SC, and they don't suck either.
There's probably others out there too.

DC receivers generally are at least OK.  The worst DC receivers are
far better than the worst SC receivers, and the best DC and SC
recceivers are generally on par with either other.

Note that DC and SC receivers take different crystals.

This isn't directly related to your question, but I wrote this up for
rec.models.rc.air a while back, and it may help answer what your next
question may be --

Ultimately, here's the lowdown on single conversion vs. double
conversion for you, as simple as I can make it :

   single conversion: some are bad, some are OK, and some are better.
   double conversion: just about all are OK or better.

Hitec Feather             = really bad, single conversion.
GWS 4P (and similar)      = bad, single conversion.
Most PPM JR receivers     = OK, single conversion
Most PPM Futaba receivers = OK, dual conversion
Most PPM Hitec receivers  = OK, dual conversion
Berg receivers            = better, single conversion
FMA receivers             = better, dual conversion
Most PCM JR receivers     = better, single conversion (?)
Most PCM non-JR receivers = better, dual conversion

Got it? :)

The `Bad' receivers tend to have bad range, and tend to glitch if
anybody else is flying nearby, even on different channels.

The `OK' receivers have good range, and generally only glitch if there
is direct interference (on the same channel, or only 10 kHz away like
might be caused by a pager tower.)

The `Better' receivers have good range, and generally do not glitch at
all because they discard invalid frames.  They are still affected by
direct interference like the `OK' receivers, but they handle it
better.

(Of course, I'm ignoring receivers made before 1991 here because they
may not be `narrow band'.)

And the real kicker is that the `better' FMA and Berg receivers cost
less than the `OK' Futaba and JR receivers, and about the same as the
`OK' Hitec receivers.

--
Doug McLaren, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Never let school interfere with getting an education.