On Wed, Apr 20, 2005 at 09:34:41PM -0400, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

| JR radios for USA use don't. I often charge the batteries in my JR radios
| through the charging jacks with my Triton charger. Peak chargers like the
| Triton can't work with diodes in the circuit.

Actually, the Triton can charge through a diode.  It can't discharge
(which makes sense), but it can charge.

| I also once made the same mistake that Scobie made and plugged the
| wrong trickle charger into one of my JR radios. In my case the fuse
| blew right away and aside from that, no harm was done.

Well, if there's no diode, or a fuse didn't blow, then he almost
certainly reverse charged his pack.  Exactly how much depends on how
full the batteries were when he started, and how long the charger was
on ...

The batteries were probably damaged at least somewhat, but it may not
be enough to worry about (mostly the damage would manifest as reduced
capacity.)  I'd strongly suggest at least running them through a
cycler a few times and make sure they're still OK.  If the capacity is
down more than 10 or 20% from the original capacity -- replace them.

Some people are down on NiMH cells for receiver packs, as they don't
stand up to abuse as well, and have higher internal resistances, and
there is truth to all that, but for transmitter packs they're perfect.
And even if you pay full retail Wal-Mart price, 8 2000+ mAh NiMH AA
cells will only cost about $20 -- cheap insurance, and you'll probably
get a pack that will last all day.  (Assuming you can make your own
packs, of course.)

--
Doug McLaren, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
FORTUNE PROVIDES QUESTIONS FOR THE GREAT ANSWERS:
 #19   A: To be or not to be.
       Q: What is the square root of 4b^2?