On Mon, May 02, 2005 at 08:36:13AM -0700, Lex Mierop wrote:

|    That's interesting, because I called Horizon asking this specific
|    question (JR base loaded whip on 50Mhz), and the tech told me
|    explicitly not to use it.  Is this a case where it it's better to
|    ask for forgiveness rather than permission?

When you lost your plane, who would you ask for forgiveness?  Would
you forgive yourself? :)

Seriously, on the ham band, you can pretty much do anything you want.
Your transmitter is supposed to have your call sign on it, no
commercial use, one watt power limit.  Beyond that, you can pretty
much do whatever you want, use any antenna you want, and you're legal.
So you can use any antenna you want, and that's just fine.

As  for `are  the  antennas the  same',  well, the  same antennas  are
generally used for 27, 35, 40,  50, 53, 72 and 75 mHz transmitters and
receivers,  so  it  seems  pretty  likely that  the  transmitters  and
receivers  have whatever  matching  networks are  needed  to make  the
standard antennas  (usually they're sized  about right for the  72 mHz
band) approximately resonant.   So common sense tells me  that if your
transmitter uses the same stock antenna for any module, that you'd use
the same rubber duckie antenna as  well.  But this is just an educated
guess -- I haven't actually tested it.

Len measured his 50 mHz rubber duckie antenna and found it to be
resonant at 62 mHz -- I'm not sure what to make about that.  Don't
forget that there is probably some wire inside the transmitter that
would be included in the length of the antenna (since it's probably
not part of a balanced line or coax, but instead just a single wire
coming out of the circuit board), and making it longer would decrease
the overall resonant frequency.  But all the way down to 50 mHz?  Not
sure.  And I'd expect it to be resonant at around 72 mHz rather than
50 mHz anyways, unless his transmitter and/or module was actually
designed for an antenna appropriate at 50 mHz.

Also, the fact that we're usually holding our transmitters when
they're in use changes the properties of the antenna.  Though if Len
used one of those portable antenna analyzers, and held the analyzer
like he would a transmitter, that would probably approximate that
pretty well ...

Ultimately, there's not much better than real world testing.  However,
our standard `range check' (i.e. collapsing the transmitting antenna)
doesn't work with rubber duckie antennas, so any proper test will
probably involve you walking a half mile or so away, and even that's
not a perfect test because being so close to the ground will affect
the results as well.  But it's probably pretty good, as long as you
have a clear line of sight between the receiver and transmitter.

For a slope plane, especially a foamie, I probably wouldn't worry too
much about using a rubber duckie antenna -- it's not likely to get too
far away.  Ditto for a R/C car.  But for a TD plane, especially one
that I liked to speck out, I'd probably be very worried about it until
I tested it myself.  Rubber duckie antennas supposedly reduce the
signal by as much as 10 dB -- I don't know how accurate this is, or
what exactly it's being compared to, but a factor of 10 reduction in
power could result in a factor of 3 reduction in range, and that could
give you a range of 0.5 miles (assuming the usual stated range of 1.5
miles), which could be farther than you could fly and still see the
plane ...

There's lots of guesses and estimates in that last paragraph, but
combined they eat up the margin of safety that we enjoy pretty
effectively.

I guess if your plane really is specked out, and you've realized that
you've lost control, you'd have plenty of time to remove your rubber
duckie antenna and try the stock antenna again in flight.  But if it's
0.5 miles away but with only a few hundred feet of altitude ... I'd
hate to risk it.

--
Doug McLaren, [EMAIL PROTECTED], AD5RH
People don't usually make the same mistake twice -- they make it three