On Tue, May 17, 2005 at 12:57:54PM -0400, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

|    Hello everyone, I'm trying to rig up a vent door in a kit-car so I can
|    open  and  close  the vent remotely. Its would be tough to run a stiff
|    cable  to  the  door due to its location, so I was thinking of using a
|    heavy duty landing gear servo located at the door, and a simple on/off
|    switch  under  the  dash to  activate the servo. My question is what I
|    would  need  to  do  to  run  the servo off the 12 volt car system? My
|    electronics  knowledge  is  limited  but  I'm do  ok with  a soldering
|    iron!   Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

To make this soaring related, I assume you take your kit-car to the
flying field with planes in it? :)

As for the 12v part, that's easy -- get a 5 or 6 volt voltage
regulator.  Radio Shack sells them, and they're cheap.  They'll cut
your 12 volts down to 5 or 6 volts with very little fuss.  (To make
this further soaring related, this is basically just what a BEC is.)

As for what activates the servo, that's a bit harder.  It's not just a
switch -- you'd need a little bit of electronics to emit the proper
signal to the servo.

It might just be easier to buy an electrical latch meant for car use.
That you could activate with just a switch and no electronics.

--
Doug McLaren, [EMAIL PROTECTED]