Let's discuss launch for a minute. I think TK hit on something that gets lost: technique.
Why do guys do pedal to the metal launches?
Is it to get more altitude?
More zoom?
Trash the brushes on the winches?

Tapping most of the way up will get you higher. Less line taken in.
Full pedal close to the apex and then into the zoom will accomplish the same zoom with reflex added to get the speed up.

So why do guys go at it full pedal full time? Could it be that they can't meter the power? Have a tough time tapping?
In a downwind launch it makes good sense to full pedal, but in an into the wind situation unless you are on mono you gain nothing.

Throwing the airplane on launch will do more to get the speed up than full pedal out of the hand.

Afraid of breaking line at the Nats and also I found that in some situations I had too much tension and popped off with in 50'.
I stopped the full tension and started going up with a moderate amount of tension and stopped popping off.
I tap and get the full length of line I can before going for the zoom. Then I push the winch.

I thought I was babying the winch, until I looked over and saw Joe Wurts doing the tap thing too.
If you've ever seen Joe launch F3B or J you know that Joe goes for maximum tension.
But I have only seen him launch on braided at the Nats and he taps... I don't know if this goes on at other west coast
contests, I suspect it does. Whats the point of reeling in alot of line?

Now it gets different with a retriever line attached. You must maintain a little more speed with the added drag
of another line. But still full pedal isn't necessary... just more frequent tapping.

Ok I am getting off my soapbox...

-- Jeff Steifel