Jon,
Thanks for the tip on seeing total mAh!  That helps.

Yes, I set the timer, which goes up to 960 minutes (or thereabouts), which translates into 16 hours - perfect cutoff for formation charges. The downsides to using the Triton for this are:

1) You have to remember to reset the delta peak, or you will fry the next pack you try to quick charge!
2) The Triton only goes down to 100mAh, so you can only do formation charges on packs of 1000mAh capacity or more. It's useless for formation charges on, for example, handlaunch packs.

I keep a Hobbico R/C Multi Charger around, which has current settings ranging from just 25mAh to 500mAh. I use it all the time for slow charging my RX packs and transmitters fitted with 2100mAh NiMh packs. Another plus is that it runs on 110VAC - very convenient! It's a very useful item at just $29.99 new from Tower. Everyone could make good use out of one of these simple inexpensive devices, IMHO.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXL331&P=7

You can use a timer with it, but the catch is that a small design flaw in the charger allows the pack to DISCHARGE into the charger itself when power to the charger is cut off. I made a few adapters with inline rectifier diodes from Radio Shack that solves the problem.

--Jim