Jim, you really need feedback from someone whom has logged time on both.
I have not.  I did buy Mark Miller’s “prototype” Soprano.   I only have
a few launches on it but understand why the rudder was increased on
current offerings.   Since I have seen no better responses I offer the
following thoughts - mainly for those with out a lot of experience.
Without any good support for my thoughts – FWIW J - I think if you have
full house experience, you will find the Soprano both a good floater and
penetrator.  I suspect the AVA my be a better floater (lighter) but may
not penetrate as will as the Soprano (just my guess).    For a flyer not
experienced with modern high performance soarers, the Ava (or Topaz) may
be the choice.   That should not be seen as criticism of the Soprano but
a suggestion that it flys like a modern high performance ship.   If you
are new to this sport (especially if you have limited funds)  skip
expensive planes like the Soprano and Ava (untill you have wiped out a
few cheaper planes – they are available).  Not because they would be
more difficult to learn on; because things do happen (and will) – ask
Gordy.   The only criticism I have is not with the planes (and certainly
not with Kennedy or Miller) but with the designer/makers that do not
make parts that are interchangeable.  Let me explain: After receiving
the Soprano and admiring it, I heard about the Trio and Piper
<http://www.isthmusmodels.com/> and thought I could buy one of them and
be able to swap wings with the Soprano.  Sorry – too logical!   Now
before any one takes this too seriously (and takes me to task),
understand these thoughts are just that – not fighting words.   The
wonderful thing about this sport is all the choices - and they are
mostly all good.   Regis