Probably what will happen is that R/C soaring and other high altitude
sport/hobbies that use airspace (as in model rockets), will require
special dates, venues, and windows of opportunity provided by special
FAA waiver. Large model rocketry already is regulated by this process.
It is only a matter of time before ALL aerosports requiring higher than
"normal" altitudes are monitored and regulated by FAA waiver, if, that
is, they exceed the limit set by the AMA FAA for unregulated club
flying. So 700-1000 feet would actually be a godsend if and when the
hammer falls. I foresee a time when virtually all organized R/C flying
(other than the Parkflyer unregulated low power stuff) will take place
on controlled sites governed by the AMA and its club infrastructure.
Perhaps the idea of regional flying sites similar to Muncie, but put in
locations where most of us actually live might bear some consideration.
How we preserve our sport will require some insightful proactive
thinking, and willingness to compromise. The notion that everything can
stay the same as it was in the past is probably at best naïve.
JD

Endless Mountain Models
http://www.scalesoaring.com