Subject: RE: [SOCIAL CREDIT] MICHAELLANE
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 21:46:05 -0800
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

ok
--

On Tue, 28 Jan 2003 17:38:21

Date:  Mon, 27 Jan 2003 16:38:29 EST
From:  [EMAIL PROTECTED] [add to address book]
Subject:  MICHAELLANE
To:  [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Dear Wally, Vic, and Bill:

While I am waiting for Rodney Shakespeare to make a response, I thought I'd
 write to you three alone.  I offered to Wally to help back him up in the
 discussion group, and he said that what was needed was to clarify the
 national dividend of social credit from the "second basic income" of
 Shakespeare's version of binary economics.  I believe I did that.

In the course of this, two matters came up that I wanted to address just to
 you three.  One was Bill's statement that Douglas's essential observation
 (i.e., the A+B Theorem) was about the fact the people do not spend all of
 their income but save and/or invest it.  While it is a true observation, I
 think I can confidently appeal to both Wally and Vic that this is not what
 gives us the A+B Theorem.

The other was the question of setting profit margins.  In "The Use of Money"
 Douglas says that if you just issue

more tickets to make up the lack between the purchasing power available and
 the prices of the goods for same, . . . you get a rise in the prices of
 articles, . . . because there is nothing to prevent the prices being raised
 when the sellers find there is more money about.  But you can produce
 exactly the same result by, let us say, halving the price of everything.
 That is to say, instead of doubling the amount of money on one side, if you
 halve the price of everything for sale on the other side, you will produce
 exactly the same result as if you had doubled the money without raising the
 prices. (p. 15)

Now you cannot confidently speak about "halving the price of everything" if
 at the same time sellers can set the "pre-halved" price at whatever they
 want.  In fact, it makes a mockery of the whole argument, because it would
 be just as vulnerable to sellers' raising prices as would issuing more
 tickets.  This realization was a breakthrough in my understanding of
 Douglas, though you might say it should really have been obvious that the
 "compensated price" and "halving the price" are an abandonment of market
 prices.  The seller gives up his right to charge what the market will bear
 in return for the advantage of participating in the program.  It is a
 perfectly fair arrangement.

Finally, I want to say that if social credit is compatible with market
 prices, then my entire approach to Rodney Shakespeare was in error.  Indeed,
 I would then have to admit that he is right and that there IS no difference
 between what he calls a "second basic income" and a national dividend.

After I feel I have concluded my assignment with Rodney, I will be
 unsubscribing to the list.  It is an awfully mixed group and seems to
 scatter my energies too much.  In addition, I am online only at work and am
 becoming uncomfortable receiving so many personal e-mails.  I am sure the
 three of us will continue to correspond.

MICHAEL LANE