Hi,

  I just got started working on my brand-new net5501 setup.  It's
intended to be a Linux-based QoS-enabled firewall/router for home
(well, I work from home, so whatever you want to call that) use as
well as a mini Asterisk system to take care of my home+office (also
Asterisk) lines.
  I'm putting in a Digium TDM400P card in the PCI slot to support FXS
ports so that I can use traditional telephones around the house
(especially my cordless system), as well as an FXO to a "measured
rate" cheapo PSTN line that I'm required to get with my DSL anyways,
and use that for 911 service and as a last-resort backup for outbound
local calls.
  Other than the TDM400P, the only extra devices beyond the net5501
board itself are a133X-speed 2GB CompatFlash drive (read-mostly for
the OS/config), and probably a USB flash drive (for system logs and
voicemail storage).
  My question is about +12V power to the TDM400P PCI card.  In order
to support FXS ports, this card requires an external +12V connection
(in the form of a standard large-format 4-pin PC power supply
connection), as the PCI bus can't provide enough +12V amperage.
Digium offers an external power supply for situations where the system
itself doesn't have such a connection (like me).  The external power
supply they offer provides up to 5A @ 12V, and is designed to support
up to 24 FXS ports.  My particular card can only hold 4 FXS ports.
Doing the math, I assume the max my card could ever be designed to
draw from this connector would actually be 0.8 Amps @ 12V.
  Looking around at some spec sheets for various 2.5-inch SATA drives
one might use on a net5501, it seems like 0.8A @ 12V should be well
within the expected power draw from such a drive.  Therefore, I'm
thinking I can connect the 12V connector of this TDM400P to the power
connector intended for a SATA drive on the net5501 (the little 4-pin
one next to the SATA port) and everything should be fine.
  I have two external power supplies I could use to power the net5501
itself, one is rated as 3.34A @ 12V and the other as 5A @ 12V, I
suspect either would be enough but I'll probably use the 5A just in
case, unless someone can tell me it's definitely overkill.
  Can anyone out there with more knowledge of the power on the net5501
board let me know if this plan sounds sane, before I go and smoke some
power-related peice of silicon on my net5501 through ignorance? :)

-- Brandon