Thank you for that link.  I have been looking for "terminal emulators" and I have found the PockeTerm http://www.brielcomputers.com/wordpress/?cat=6, the Spare Time Gizmos VT6 http://www.sparetimegizmos.com/Hardware/VT.htm and the $360 (ouch!) NTI SERIMUX Terminal Converter http://www.kvms.com/Product/SERIMUX-TERM.aspx.

The MicroVGA seems like the lowest cost solution, I just need to add a bit of perf board, a header, a MAX231CPD and two (tantalum) caps.  As a benefit, there's a spare pair of drivers for the second serial port.

Soren, I understand why the E6xx integrated video is not useful because of the supervisory LPC processor, and you would have to implement a video BIOS.  Have you considered using the supervisor MCU as the terminal emulator to generate the VGA video?  It could pass through the serial data and only inject characters if a PS2 keyboard were used.  Looking at the MicroVGA, we've come a long way from Don Lancaster's TV Typewriter (I still have the "Cookbook," dog eared, packed away in a box some where).

Thanks again,

Andrew