Hi Chris,

On Tue, 29 May 2012, Chris Cappuccio wrote:

> The drive wasn't responding. It's likely to be the drive itself, not
> some failure on the controller or magic in the wire. SSDs are not the
> ultra-reliable machines they're made out to be, in my experience. The
> firmware probably crashed. And if that's what happened, it'll happen
> again under certain conditions -- that is until you get an update that
> breaks the firmware in some new and bizarre way.

Thanks for that. I'm coming round to the idea that the drive is at fault.
But a drive crash doesn't explain the data corruption and I/O errors that
I saw before it crashed, and can still reproduce.

I take it that nobody else has seen problems with drives misbehaving on
the net6501 that worked fine in other machines?

Cheers, Chris.
--
Aptivate | http://www.aptivate.org | Phone: +44 1223 967 838
Future Business, Cam City FC, Milton Rd, Cambridge, CB4 1UY, UK

with company number 04980791.