Hi Pete,

Sorry, but the statement about 'NEVER' hand soldering SMD components is simply
scaremongering!

SMD components can easily be soldered by hand, and that is a far more reliable
method for home construction than any of reflow or other crazy methods often
attempted by amateurs. Those methods, without a lot of practice are almost
certain to poor joints and unreliability.

What has to be remembered is that 'certain' individuals have a 'commercial'
interest to sell their own product and therefore appear to be trying to
persuade people that it is unreliable or impossible to hand solder SMD
components, yet nothing is further from the truth. Hopefully people have the
sense to realise this.

With well over 20,000 SoftRock kits sold, and probably 99.99% of those having
had the SMD components hand soldered, says it all.

As both a amateur, and a professional electronics engineer, I have worked
building and repairing PCB's with SMD components since their introduction. I
regularly work on SMD boards using mainly 0402 or 0603 components which can
still be soldered by hand.

Most amateur kits use mainly the larger 0805 or 1206 sizes which are
considerably easier to use.

For anyone who might be put off trying SMD work, give it a try, once you get
over your initial fear, you will find that it is actually much easier than
messing around with leaded components.

Of course, you could just go out and buy a 'commercial' product, but you will
have far more fun and learn a lot more doing it yourself, not forgetting it
will be considerably cheaper as well.

73, Bob G8VOI