--- In soft_radio@yahoogroups.com, BBS <pel...@...> wrote:

> Hi I am a returning amateur and now trying to get my head round SDR.
> I think this subject is the most interesting but I have a few
> questions if anyone is in the mood to help.
>
> I am very interested in VHF &UHF & even SHF.
>   Is there anything equipment wise so far that works well at those
> frequencies or am I a bit soon?
> Does the hardware have to cost a fortune?
> Thanks
> Ray

Ray,

 welcome back to the ham world.
Today's SDR can natively receive, apart from some tricks, let's say up to 60
MHz or so. To receive higher bands you can put in front of them a
downconverter, just as you would do, had you on hand an HF traditional, analog,
receiver.

The situation is changing, with the advent of new, speedier, ADC converter. But
it will take some time before they reach the market in the form of a finished
SDR product.

73  Alberto  I2PHD